2007年8月4日 星期六

Cold Turkey

Yo guess who cold-called the manager of The Wall (Taipei's largest live-music bar) and coordinator of this year's Formoz Festival and wound up with an amazing interview??

He offered some interesting perspective on Taiwan's music scene -- how something as basic as narrow living spaces (i.e. the lack of garages and basements in most people's homes) hinders Taipei's band culture, how indie music has been the domain of students of elite colleges despite its classless aspirations, how bohemianism in its true pre-yupster form doesn't exist in Taiwan, how the recent institution of the 2-day weekend (it used to be just Sundays in Taiwan) allows young professionals to pursue their own hobbies on a new level, etc.

As the manager of Formoz, he was also so busy behind the scenes that he didn't get to see Mercury Rev perform. What a shame. I told him it was the best ever and he wanted to cry black tears of regret and emo and self-loathing.

He was a really chill dude too and said to call and share a few beers when I go over to catch the next band.

Also, I've been toying with the idea of writing a senior thesis on the politics of popular music.

3 則留言:

Shadhavar 提到...

I went to this Thai Club. It was a place with no tourists (of course, knowing Tavee) and only Thai people, with a live band. It was actualy really, really good. Maybe the whiskey helped my appreciation of music I had no ability to comprehend, but still. It was good.

Oh and send me more Zhang Shuan. Or buy the CD. Or buy ME the CD. I'll pay.

T.S. Tang 提到...

I saw Zhang Shuan in the audience watching Yo La Tengo at Formoz Fest!

Also, she came out with a new album. I'll get it. You want the old one too?

Shadhavar 提到...

Yes.

And yes.

All of them.

Could you like

import her

make her your wife or something